The Stericycle team was in a celebratory mood last night after being declared the winners of the Best Use of Design and Technology in a Waste Management Facility Award at the Let’s Recycle 2019 Awards for Excellence in Recycling and Waste Management.
The Awards for Excellence in Recycling and Waste Management are considered the most prestigious event in the environmental services calendar and were held at the five-star Landmark Hotel in London on May 9th, 2019.
The team won the award for its work delivering the Bio Systems Sharps Management service at Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust. The award is given to companies and organisations using technology or equipment which enhances the way waste management work is carried out and minimises the impact on the environment.
Let’s Recycle said in the award category criteria “A modern approach to waste management is essential as the UK looks to meet recycling and landfill diversion targets. The way facilities are designed and operated is more important than ever.”
Stericycle is dedicated to finding sustainable, environmentally-friendly and compliant recovery options for all the waste we handle. Recycling is always our preferred method and over a third of the waste we collect is recycled. However, where waste requires special treatment to protect human health and the environment, we try to make these treatment processes as sustainable as possible, so they are neither harmful to the environment or deplete natural resources.
The Bio Systems Sharps Management is one of these sustainable services. Instead of putting sharps in single-use containers which are then incinerated, Stericycle provides reusable sharps containers that are collected, emptied, disinfected and resupplied to the hospital. The containers can each be used up to 600 times after washing and disinfection.
In the short time the Bio Systems Sharps Management service has been in place at Salford Royal Foundation Trust, it has delivered tangible benefits for the organisation, its staff and the environment.
Benefits for the Trust
• Clean replacement containers are supplied daily, which means there is no waste build-up around the site
• Stericycle’s Bio Systems service offers estimated cost savings of between 10–20 per cent over the total costs involved in using single-use sharps containers
• Waste is processed with a full and robust audit trail
Benefits for the Trust’s staff
• The introduction of Bio Systems has meant a significant improvement in the safety of staff at Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust. It has removed all risk from out of the sharps process as not only does a Stericycle service technician handle the full containers, but replacement ones are provided already in the format for which they are going to be used
• Having a fully managed service with dedicated Stericycle technicians means staff are freed up to carry out other duties
Benefits for the environment
• For each Bio Systems container used, up to 600 single-use containers are prevented from being incinerated. This is equivalent to running two small cars for a year (based on a typical 1200 bed NHS trust) and is instrumental in the reduction of greenhouse gases.
• Additionally, as containers are reused, bulky packaging waste from the purchase of single-use containers, is also eliminated.
It is the second award the Bio Systems Sharps Management service has received and follows on from recent success at the HSJ Partnership awards. However, whilst we are incredibly proud of the Bio Systems service, we are even more proud of our Stericycle staff – without them we would not be able to consistently offer NHS trusts such a smooth-running, efficient and sustainable waste management facility.